SC - Another Novice Recipe Challenge

Kerry Romano linneah at BellSouth.net
Mon Aug 11 03:17:34 PDT 1997

Terry Nutter wrote:

> Hi, Katerine here.  Joshua asks:
>
> >I too have seen a lot of medieval recipes that say "onions parboiled and
> >minced".  I notice that Katerine has chosen to reverse the order of the
> >verbs in her redaction, perhaps because parboiled whole onions are REALLY
> >HARD TO CHOP!  The outermost layer gets really slippery and a bit slimy.
> >Yet the recipes CONSISTENTLY say "ysode and ymynced" or the equivalent,
> >always in that order as far as I've noticed.  Any ideas?
>
> Yup, they do, and yup, it's a ridiculous nuisance, and no, I haven't a clue.
> Shouldn't be difficulty of straining them out; they strain finer stuff all
> the time.
>
> One of the great mysteries....
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Katerine/Terry

Not having tried it myself but speculating nonetheless, would the method
of chopping make a difference?  I was thinking of something like the
two-handled rounded chopper and a shallow wooden bowl.  If the chopping
method were, shall we say, brutish, and not a
one-at-a-time-with-a-knife-on-a-board like we use, would that make the
chopping after parboiling more logical?  If I were trying to prepare a
meal for lots of people (which I hope to actually one day do) the method
of one onion at a time would be too slow.  I imagine putting a bunch
together in a bowl and "having at" with something.  I haven't run across
too many references to utencils, but I'm sure many of you have.  I could
be WAY off base with this, but I like to hypothesize (and it's fun to
say too -  say it with me - hypothesize)

Looking forward to the responces,
Linneah
(Who knows that a Chevrolet is really a small goat cheese)