SC - Parsley

Kerry Romano linneah at BellSouth.net
Mon Aug 11 03:04:51 PDT 1997

Stephen Bloch wrote:

> > Parsley is very high in iron and therefore "good for you".
>
> Bearing in mind that too much iron can be seriously "bad for you" -- I
> think it causes some kind of heart problems.  In fact, of all the
> vitamins and minerals to be found in a typical American home, iron is
> apparently the only one that poses a serious risk of overdose.  More so
> for men than for women.
>
> Of course, I suspect you'd have to eat pounds and pounds of parsley to
> O.D. on iron.

While taking a course on Medieval History (of all things) I came up
with, what I think, is an interesting hypothesis.  Early Medieval
European peasants often suffered from iron deficiency, as shown by
archaeological data.  This was probably due to a relative lack of meat
in their diet.  When, around 800 A.D. or so, the "agricultural
revolution" happened, this appreared to be less of a problem.   At the
same time, the use of iron the metal increased.  It is my thinking that
the increasing use of iron cooking utensils increased the amount of iron
in the diet.  It is well known today that the iron from the cast iron
pans we use leaches into the food - especially acid foods like
tomato-based sauces.  Some OBs even prescribe this method of cooking to
their pregnant patients.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Linneah
(Who knows that a Chevrolet if really a small goat cheese)