SC - Smoking Questions

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Tue Aug 19 12:59:02 PDT 1997

> Hello all,
>
> I am a blacksmith and technology researcher whose preferred medium is
> fire(surprise) and am the perpetrator of the ongoing Iron furnace research
> at Pennsic.

Whoa!  I must have missed this.  Is somebody running an iron furnace at
Pennsic?

>  Recently, I have become very interested in how cooking related
> fire works.  In the last 3 years, I have built two beehive style ovens at
> the Pennsic War and have also undertaken building one in the back yard, as
> a means to study both their use and maintenance.
>
> Anyone who could send/direct me to good resources for recipes and related
> information(in modern english, please) would be very appreciated.

We bought a book on building brick ovens at Pennsic this year, but we
haven't finished unpacking all the stuff from Pennsic so I'm not sure
where the book is.  However, I can also recommend _The Bread Book_, by
Thom Leonard, pub. East-West Health Books 1990, ISBN 0-936184-09-4.
This book discusses how to make traditional "levain"-raised bread and
maintain the culture for the next batch, how to grind flour for bread
(with commentary on different makes of grinders), what sorts of wheat
are best for bread, how to grow them in your back yard, and how to build
and use a brick oven.

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu