Re- SC - Smoking Questions

Kea ErisDottir keaeris at fred.net
Wed Aug 20 14:19:28 PDT 1997

At 3:39 PM 8/20/97, Mark Harris wrote:

>I know that William the Smith and his cohorts have done this several times
>over the years. Since I wasn't there this time, I don't know if they did
>it then. But at Pennsic XXV they had a small one, about waist high and
>several feet wide at the base. Inside they had layered charcoal and iron
>ore and lit it. After it had burned down, they broke the clay shell open
>and proceed to beat the lumps of iron/carbon mixture until they had
>useable metal. They also had two forges going in the camp.

The original furnace ran in my backyard in the summer of 1992 and run 11
was completed just after midnight on Friday night of Pennsic XXVI.  By way
of correction, Wilelm was present at Pennsic XXII and subsequent firings
and has humped more than his fair share of the mud required to get the
furnace ready to run.  Vis was more than kind enough to move the mud for us
this year.  However, all the furnaces have been constructed and run
principally by myself, with a large crew of blower crankers, ore roasters,
and gofers.  This year's run was a bit more successful than in previous
years, having finally thought built a furnace with the best internal
physics that I have put up to date and a total change of the method in
which the ore was added.  I am very pleased with the results.

More on the Pennsic XXVI runs coming to a Rialto and a webpage near you.

Fursa Hand-Seinn, Mistress of the Iron Furnace in search of a good smoked
meat something.