SC - Cuts of Meat

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Aug 21 12:17:29 PDT 1997

Sometimes if you go to abutcher who cuts meat for restaurants and such, you
can get a cut called a gooseneck round.  It's a goos cut.  This maybe a
regional term so be advised....  My friend who cooks in Steppes (Dallas)
got this all the time, but down here in Bryn Gwlad (Austin) the butcher
looked at me confused. When I lived in Bjornsborg (San Antonio) I got a
piece called a clod which was fairly tender.  Sometimes you can order a
quarter of  cow and get various pieces cut up various ways and it works out
cheaper.
        People who start out cooking down here buy flank steak or brisket
which is tough unless you marinated it.  They are used a lot in fajitas and
BBQ and it's tempting because of the price (cheap, you can get whole
briskets for as low as 89 cents a pound)  but very tough if cooked
incorrectly.

Clare St. John who lives in the land of beef eaters