SC - Crustade Lombard - a redaction

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Thu Aug 21 15:18:41 PDT 1997

Hi, Katerine here.  Sincgiefy describes several efforts at making the
dish up.  The first thing that struck me is that the early efforts began
by heating the cream.  The recipe doesn't say to, you can make curds
without, and it may affect how the fats behave.  I'd try with cool
cream.

For that matter, I'd try with cool *raw* cream.  Homogenized cream has
been cooked.

I'm also not sure that straining works the same way to get its effects
that beating does.  I'd omit beating, and whatever order I did things
in, together or apart, I'd use a strainer (probably lined with a couple
of layers of cheesecloth to get the effect of a finer strainer than
modern ones).

It might make no difference, but until one tries, it's hard to know.

Cheers,

- -- KAterine/Terry