SC - Cream

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Aug 21 15:43:20 PDT 1997

Terry Nutter wrote:

> In other words, I'd look, but I'd take what I found with a grain of salt.
> Even if the dish was invented by someone who went to Lombardy and like
> something he had there, it doesn't follow that he used the same techniques
> when he tried to reproduce it.

At the risk of getting totally off-topic, I will now tell the amazing
tale of my friend Mike, who went to a Chinese restaurant in Iowa in the
1960's. It was run by two little old Swedish ladies, who had had a
wonderful meal in a Chinese restaurant in Chicago, and went home and
decided they would open a restaurant serving the kind of food they had
eaten in Chicago.

The menu featured an appetizer that was apparently composed of blintzes
filled with well-washed sauerkraut and shredded ham, deep-fried and
served with apricot preserves on the side. Also available were frozen
beef ravioli, boiled, with soy sauce. Roast duck was served with ketchup
and lovely Swedish pancakes. They apparently DID get the scallion
brushes right, which Mike assures me only made it worse. Actually he
told me he rather enjoyed the meal, partly due to the laughs it
provided.

The mind boggles at what might have ensued had the ladies visited
Lombardy...

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com