SC - Re-Crustade Lombarde,

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Thu Aug 21 17:37:05 PDT 1997

Aoife said:

The next step is to see how much parsley it takes to curdle cream. This may
seem peculiar to some, but you can curdle milk and cream with any number of
things, not just vinegar, lemon juice, rennet, or an active culture like
yoghurt. Parsley, being somewhat acidic, would do the job to a mild degree,
and wouldn't leave behind the soured/bitter tastes some of the other agents.
<<<<<

Interesting. I didn't save the original. Does it mention a specific type
of parsley? There were two different types of parsley mentioned on this
list recently, curly and Italian(?). It may be that one will do better at
curdling cream than the other. Perhaps there are other parsleys?

I did recently find both parsleys in my grocery store. They definitely
look different for each other. I didn't taste the Italian one, but my
wife did. From her face and comments I don't think I'll get her to try
it again. I did notice some nice salad mixtures in the little bags that
were mentioned here. So I'm looking forward to trying them and having
perhaps a more medieval salad. Since I haven't identified what some
of the greenery is, I don't know if all of it is period. But the bag
I bought has endive and another herb or two that I hadn't even heard of
before I joined this list.

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com