SC - off topic but slightly interesting if true

Kimib2 at aol.com Kimib2 at aol.com
Wed Aug 27 20:37:49 PDT 1997

<< "Minding one's P's and Q's" meant to keep your mind on the work and not
get
 >distracted.
 >
 >Yers,
 >
 >Gunthar

 Reasonable.  Modern type, at least that which I am familiar with, has a
 double groove in the edge the the typesetter sees as they drop the type
 in the L-stick.  This lets you do a quick check on proper positioning
 and the evenness of the type, a short or long shaft on the type really
 stands out.

 When these grooves were added, I don't know, but I expect they are only
 a hundred years old at most.

 The sample of Gutenberg's type I've seen didn't have any markings to aid
 in positioning the type, which is also true of the wooden printing
 blocks I've seen.  So, "mind your P's and Q's," is very likely a
 printer's aphorism.

I was just PASSING ON some trivial...geez...
kimib2