SC - When life gives you lemons LONG!

Griff41520 at aol.com Griff41520 at aol.com
Thu Aug 28 07:32:47 PDT 1997

Greetings good gentles,

My favorite chicken dish (also my families, my shires,......) is Roasted
garlic chicken.  Based on a recipe in the New  Basics cookbook.

  BEWARE THIS IS A LONG RECIPE  but well worth the effort!!

1 5-7 lb chicken(more flavorful than the small ones)
2-3 Bulbs of Garlic peeled (about 24-30  cloves depending on how much you
like                garlic
juice of a lemon
1 orange stabbed thouroghly
1 apple
3 Cups chicken broth
1 Teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 Cup White wine (if you wouldn't drink it-don't cook with it!)
Dried herbs-basil, oregano. tyme, rosemary
salt and pepper

Heat oven to 400.  wash and dry the bird and place in a high-sided roasting
pan.  liberally salt and pepper the bird and rub the spices into the skin and
cavity.  If you have access to fresh herbs put a few sprigs of fresh herbs in
the cavity along with the apple and orange.  cook for 20 min. at 400.  While
the bird is cooking mix together the chicken broth, wine and ginger. When the
20 min is up, add half of the broth and all of the garlic, cook another 20
min.  Add the rest of the broth , turn the oven down to 350 and cook for
another 1 1/2 hours or until the bird is done, being sure to baste at regular
intervals(every ten min. or so).  When the bird is done, remove it to a
cutting board and place it breast side down to allow the juices to collect
there.  Place the pan juices and the garlic in a saucepan.  Mash the garlic,
as it should be quite soft by now, and reduce the pan juices and garlic by
half for the gravy.  Add flour or cornstarch if neccassary for thickening.
 If you are worried about the fat content, use a fat sepparator to remove
most of the fat off of the pan juices.
        Remove the apple and orange from the body cavity , serve and enjoy.
 I normaly roast potatoes and carrots with the bird and have never been
dissapointed by it

Good luck
Ivy ni Inishkeen
of TriOs