SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #253

Griff41520 at aol.com Griff41520 at aol.com
Fri Aug 29 06:52:49 PDT 1997

>From the Digestit was written:
 >The Coeur ala Creme that i have tried involved sweetened cream cheese,
 >cheesecloth and a mold.  the bottom of the mold was perferated and you set
it
 >over a bowl to drain overnight.  I have no idea how period it is though.

 You must mean Cream, rather than Cream Cheese, that is put in the lined
 mold. Is it soured first or curdled using a curdling agent (non-souring)?
 Very heavy cream will seperate on it's own into sour-cream consistency if
 just left, loosley covered. Perhaps that's what we're dealing with
 here---sour-cream cheese?

  BTW, "ala" or a la means literally "like the" or more meaningfully"in the
 fashion of" in french, so Coeur a la Creme means "heart in the style of
 cream" in English, which to my mind is very unappetising >>>>>>

     I did a bit of checking and Coeur a la Creme is normally(these days)
molded in a heart shaped mold and IS a clotted Cream.  And isn't "heart in
the style of cream" but "cream in the style of a heart"  Maybe in Period it
meant "the heart of the cream".  I'm not a word historian, but it does make
some sense.  I have tried Coeur a la Creme and it is very good.  If you want
to try to make your own, you can find the heart shaped molds at gourmet food
stores around Valentines Day.  William Sonoma usually has a recipe for it
around the same time of year.

In service to the Dream
Ivy~

~~~~Grow something Green~~~~~