SC - SC Feast n the law

Brian_Moore@providentcompanies.com Brian_Moore at providentcompanies.com
Mon Dec 1 08:26:36 PST 1997

><<
> Are we feeding other people for money?  Or are we doing the cooking, and the
> other people are chipping in to buy stuff and rent the site?
>

> Alasdair mac Iain
>  >>

>Even easier, are there legal requirements about feeding people everywhere?  I
>have never heard much about it here in the U.S.
>
>Tyrca

There are legal considerations about feeding people anywhere in the
U.S., but they fall under state and local jurisdictions.  I would say
that a feast could be viewed as cost recovery or fund raising.  The
first question is what are the local limitations on fund raising
activities for organizations such as the Kiwanis and the Boy Scouts?
The second question is what health regulations must be met by these fund
raising activities?  Anyone should be able to get the answers from the
appropriate agencies without naming any organizations, since part of the
governmental mandate is to inform the public of the laws and
regulations.

Here in Oklahoma, there aren't many restrictions placed on fund raising
activities and the authorities are not strict in enforcing health
regulations on private groups unless there is a problem.   In general,
the more populous the state, the greater the business and health
restrictions, and the more likely they are to be enforced.

Bear