SC - Period veges

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Mon Dec 1 18:41:04 PST 1997

Re: Re: Period veggies
        Elizabeth wrote: " But Menagier de Paris (late 14th c.) describes
                carrots as "red roots that you buy in the market".

When I travelled in India a year ago, the carrots in the market were almost
a true red color, or at least a rather dark very reddish orangey color.
Perhaps Europe in our period might have had a similarly colored variety.

Elizabeth also wrote:  "Eggplant (aubergine),
                I know lots of good Islamic recipes for this, but no
non-Muslim                     European ones.  Does anyone else?

There are a couple of eggplant recipes in the Arte de Cozina text from 1607
that I'm currently working with.  I haven't done any redactions with these
recipes yet, so I can't say how tasty they are.  Here's my translation:
        "Book III Chapter 19:  How to make eggplant
                Cook the eggplant in water & salt, & being cooked remove the
water,         & chop them well, & cast them in a casserole dish to fry with
a lot of oil,         & cast to them grated cheese & bread, & 6 or 8
maravedis of spices {fairly         heavily spiced}, & some garlic, all
mashed, & cook everything with this         mixture, & thicken it with eggs,
setting fire on top.  This is called " a         nun's casserole of
eggplant":  also you may give it out cooked in the grease
        from the pot, & serve it with fat bacon, pepper, or parsley.  These
eggplants may be stored all year in a syrup of grape juice/ wine, & made in
        this manner, cooking it in this syrup, & casting some cloves &
cinnamon to         it while it cooks, & cast it in a glass pot, where it
will be stored."

A note on the spices....the text mentions the principal ones as cinnamon,
ginger, pepper, nutmeg, cloves & saffron.  The text also mentions clearly
mint & parsley (these very often), bay leaves, oregano & marojam (these
infrequently) & possibly fresh cilantro.  Also, cumin & maybe coriander
seed, both infrequently.

Please let me know if you try any of these recipes, how they turn out.

                                Take care,
                                        Antoine de Bayonne

Dan Gillespie
dangilsp at intrepid.net