SC - Beef Recipes

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Mon Dec 1 17:32:55 PST 1997

I was looking at you recies for eggplant wiyh interest since I love the
stuff, and I wondered if it's usage might be a direct relative of the
Islamic recipes. Also does anyone know where I might find White Eggplant?

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
: Re: Re: Period veggies
:         Elizabeth wrote: " But Menagier de Paris (late 14th c.) describes
:                 carrots as "red roots that you buy in the market".
:
: When I travelled in India a year ago, the carrots in the market were
almost
: a true red color, or at least a rather dark very reddish orangey color.
: Perhaps Europe in our period might have had a similarly colored variety.
:
:
: Elizabeth also wrote:  "Eggplant (aubergine),
:                 I know lots of good Islamic recipes for this, but no
: non-Muslim                     European ones.  Does anyone else?
:
: There are a couple of eggplant recipes in the Arte de Cozina text from
1607
: that I'm currently working with.  I haven't done any redactions with these
: recipes yet, so I can't say how tasty they are.  Here's my translation:
:         "Book III Chapter 19:  How to make eggplant
:                 Cook the eggplant in water & salt, & being cooked remove
the
: water,         & chop them well, & cast them in a casserole dish to fry
with
: a lot of oil,         & cast to them grated cheese & bread, & 6 or 8
: maravedis of spices {fairly         heavily spiced}, & some garlic, all
: mashed, & cook everything with this         mixture, & thicken it with
eggs,
: setting fire on top.  This is called " a         nun's casserole of
: eggplant":  also you may give it out cooked in the grease
:         from the pot, & serve it with fat bacon, pepper, or parsley.
These
: eggplants may be stored all year in a syrup of grape juice/ wine, & made
in
:         this manner, cooking it in this syrup, & casting some cloves &
: cinnamon to         it while it cooks, & cast it in a glass pot, where it
: will be stored."
:
: A note on the spices....the text mentions the principal ones as cinnamon,
: ginger, pepper, nutmeg, cloves & saffron.  The text also mentions clearly
: mint & parsley (these very often), bay leaves, oregano & marojam (these
: infrequently) & possibly fresh cilantro.  Also, cumin & maybe coriander
: seed, both infrequently.
:
: Please let me know if you try any of these recipes, how they turn out.
:
:
:                                 Take care,
:                                         Antoine de Bayonne
:
:
:
: