SC - beets

Michael P Newton melc2newton at juno.com
Tue Dec 2 15:52:28 PST 1997

> Ok, question time. This is Stefan, after all.
>
> What is Hollandaise sauce? I know it is some kind of fancy sauce but
> what is in it? What makes it special? Is it period? Where is it from,
> Holland?
>
> Stefan li Rous

well, you can buy something called hollandaise sauce in packettes, and
something yellowish and drippy in jars they swear is hollandaise
sauce...
you take lots of butter, yolks of eggs beaten, either lemon squeezings
and zest OR an herbal vinegar, salt and pepper to taste-
get the butter melted but not boiling hot, put the eggs in a sauce pan,
and start whisking. pour the butter in while whisking until it thickens.
when the sauce is pretty much done, add the salt and pepper, and the tsp
or so of liquid flavor. provided it hasnt curdled, you have hollandaise
sauce. if you are in practice, it takes as long as the packette of
powdered stuff.

i use the egg whites in the scrambled eggs to fill the crepes, but you
can use it to make anything calling for just the whites.

a good hollandaise should make the capillaries scream for help!
margali