SC - beets

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Wed Dec 3 08:51:56 PST 1997

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> Hi, list! :-) I seldom ask for advise but.....WHAT A DEAL! :-) Giant Markets
> are selling Select oysters and Standard for $3.99 a pint. A $5.00 discount!
> :-0 I LOVE oysters! Bought 2 pints to start. <chagrin>

MMMMMMMMMMMMM. Did I mention I used to be an oyster shucker at the Plaza
Hotel, until someone noticed there were too many oysters with broken
shells, in no condition to be served? Waste not, want not... . ;  )

> Any one have PERIOD recipes for oysters? Need original recipes. If they are
> in a Romance language I do not need a translation. :-). Any help would be
> much appreciated. The sooner the better. At 1 or 2 pints a day for the
> remainder of the sale, I figure that I have 3 days to play with oyster
> recipes. :-)

>From Diversa Cibaria, Book I of the ever-faithful "Curye On Inglysch":

"62	To maken hoistreye. Nim hostrees & mak am zeo*en, & so**en do am out
of *e bro*; & wyte *e bro*. & so**en heuw am smale on an bord, & braye
heom in an morter, & so**en do am in *e bro* & do *erto milke of
alemauns, & lie hit wi* amydon. & let frien oygnons & mynsen heom by am
seoluen in oyle; & 3ef *ou nast none oyle, let seo*en heom in god milke
of alemaundes. & do *erto a poudre of gode spices, and colore hit wy*
saffroun."

There's a similar recipe in Taillevent, I believe, except without the
almond milk, and with toast crumbs, pea puree or water, and vinegar
added to the formula. Actually sounds better, to me, at least.

Also, you can check Apicius, which has a couple of oyster recipes, and
several oyster sauce recipes. Probably you'd be best off using the
recipes that call for the oysters to be cooked. Most of what the Romans
ate would likely have been frshly shucked, on the half shell, but the
guidelines for eating those only when alive get a little fuzzy where
shucked, packaged oysters are concerned.

Had some lovely fried oysters in real sweet-and-sour sauce in the
Chinatown Saturday. Real sweet-and-sour sauce being heavy on the mixed
ginger pickle, and easy on the weird flourescent orange baby-aspirin
flavoring that often is associated with this sauce.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com