SC - Request for documentation: Honey Glazed Vegetables

Maddie Teller-Kook meadhbh at io.com
Mon Dec 8 08:15:20 PST 1997

Decker, Terry D. wrote:

> I can place place flat noodles and ravioli (or equivalent) in period.  I
> have a source that places extruded pasta like vermicelli about 1400.  I
> have absolutely nothing on shell pasta.  Anyone have any references or
> ideas?

Well, there is a type of gnocchi called, I think, cavatelli (unless this
is the name of another type of pasta and I'm getting them confused...are
cavatelli the ones shaped like pea pods?). In any case, the pasta in
question is traditionally hand made today by placing a little ball of
dough against the floured handle of a wooden spoon, and pressing against
it with the concave side of a fork, giving it a smooth, concave inside,
and a convex, ridged outside. Much like a cockle or conch shell.

The fact that it can be made without extrusion does not, of course,
prove it is period, but it is a method that could easily have been
employed. The fact that forks with more than two or three tines, even in
civilised Italy, would have been rare, is a bit of a logical obstacle,
too.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at spambegone.asan.com

Sentient beings should remove the "spambegone." portion of our address
before replying.