SC - Request for documentation: Honey Glazed Vegetables

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Dec 8 10:40:47 PST 1997

- ---Philip & Susan Troy <troy at spambegone.asan.com> wrote:

> Well, yes, they'd have to be removed while still a calf. Good point.
> However, I'd understood that a supposedly more "humane" method was
> becoming widely used, which involves, essentially, putting a
> constricting rubber band around the offending cojones (sp?). This
> apparently interrupts blood flow to/from the area, causing it to
> more or less dry up and drop off.

Speaking from real, modern farm/ranch experience, yes, this is the
method and result. (Have done my share.) Of course, typically the
"rubber band" is a specially constructed rubber ring and a set of
odd-looking plier-thingies are used to apply it the ring to the
affected portion of the bull-calf... but I helped Grandad on more
than one occasion where normal rubber bands were substituted for the
O-ring-looking castration bands. Typically this was required for
smaller/younger bull-calves.

Note for the purposes of harvesting edible testicles: the banding
method does not allow said harvest. However, the banding method is
ineffective on bull-calves above a certain age and stage of
development, so even in a small herd the prudent rancher keeps a
sharp knife and antibiotic ointment on hand -- and ice in the beer
chest over there in the pickup truck, or a runner willing to deliver
mountain oysters to the kitchen.

> NOW, I'm instinctively leaning protectively forward, shielding body
> parts...sure sounds humane to me ;  ) !!!

Adamantius, besides certain SCA-required athletic equipment some of
us who fight heavy make sure that our armor extends well below the
waist!
(And I *still* flinch at certain ideas / visuals / concepts...)

<gryn & ouch>

===
Pax ... Kihe / Adieu -- Amra / TTFN -- Mike
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com