SC - Pain de Campagne - Honfleur

Mon Dec 8 20:49:55 PST 1997

<< I would prefer to use actual Clary in this recipe: does anyone know of
 availability or a viable substitute?

Exotic Plant Manual, Fascinating Plants to Live With (For Horticulturists and
Botanists, Professional Decorators, Libraries, Schools, Plant Fanciers) by
Alfred Byrd Graf, 3rd Revised Edition, pub. Roehrs Company, 1974, ISBN
0-911266-11-9, LOC Cat. No. 74-75310, illus. pg. 322, text pg. 699

Salvia (Labiatae)
sclerea (So. Europe). "Clary Sage": handsome hardy biennial with clammy-hairy
herbaceous stem 1/2-1 m high; pubescent broad-ovate, scalloped, pebbly gray-
green leaves often to 22 cm long, smaller higher up the 1 m flowering stalk,
the flowers whitish-blue in clusters, and with floral bracts colored rose and
white. Use: foliage for flavoring wine, beer and ale.; leaves may be eaten in
omelettes or as fritters or to flavor soups, also employed in sachets, Flowers
make tea. Oil from seeds used in perfumes. From seed.
C: 76 p. 322

There you have it. It appers to be a useful plant, at least commercially in
the Current Middle Ages and should be available from most good herb companies
as seed. I will check around tomorrow as I am off from work. :-)

BTW, many thanks for the recipe. ;-)

Ras