SC - Gunther's Mashed Carrots and Parsnips

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Tue Dec 9 06:34:53 PST 1997

<< Whilst planning this dessert feast, I stumbled across a seemingly period
 shortbread. >>

I noticed that the recipe called for what I assume is a "roasted" flour. Yet
the redaction does not mention this part of the cooking process. Is there not
some significant loss of flavor by omitting this step? IMHO, the  toasty,
nutty flavor of roasted flour would add greater depth of flavor to the
finished product. Does the author say why she chose to make such a drastic
change in the recipe when adapting it to the modern kitchen? Thanks in
advance.

On another bent, although I am not particularly interested in late period (as
defined by the SCA) cookery, I have unfortunately recieved many inquiries from
associates and students about this very subject. Since my opinion is that late
period cookery (e.g. early modern) is not in anyway related to the study of
Medieval cookery (e.g. pre-1500 C.E.), I have not maintained a data base of
these recipes. Does anyone know if such a data base exists for the list and if
so how can I access it to retrieve this info so I can answer the questions I
have been asked?

Ras