SC - Drink suggestions?

jeffrey s heilveil heilveil at students.uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 10 23:23:09 PST 1997

At 6:12 PM -0500 12/10/97, Charissa wrote:

>For example, lets assume I have some recipies for beef pies from country
>X in time period Z, and I know that those people also kept pigs, but I
>can find no recipies for pork pies... Wouldn't asking if anyone had
>documentation for such a thing be appropriate?

The question is appropriate, but that isn't how I would put it. I would ask
"Does anyone have evidence of pork pies in country X in time period Z."
"Can anyone document" suggests that you already know it is true (or don't
care) and are asking for the documentation to prove it to others.

No doubt my reaction partly reflects experience of SCA culture, but I think
at least part of it is a matter of the implications of the words themselves.

Consider, for example, an IRS auditor asking you if you can "document" an
expense you are claiming. He isn't asking if it happened, he is asking if
you have the evidence to prove it happened.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/