SC - Stefan's files for January

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Thu Dec 11 13:03:01 PST 1997

On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, margali wrote:
(charles had written)
> > Nordmannnia expects that people who turn up reasonably frequently will
> > have a pair of medieval shoes made in tehir first couple of months. We
> > provide leather, pattern, and help. And it happens. When I began (in
[snip]>
> sorry, never happen. I am diabetic and as healing of the extremities is
> impaired, i take undue caution with my feet. i prefer having the
> original set intact. i know too many of us with amputations to risk it.
> i will stay with my modern orthopedic goodies, thanks.
> margali
The point was not that we will reach perfection, just that it is possible
to actually change a culture from 'period food tastes horrible - let's
have pizza' to 'what nice period food can we make, so we improve the
accuracy of what we are doing in another aspect'.

That's all. (There is a group in NSW who decided that being accurate
meant sleeping on straw. Someone said people might be allergic to it. So
they discussed it, and decided people always had been allergic to it. But
they still used to sleep on it. So they would too. These people are
_very_ good reenactors. I don't think everybody wants to be that good. So
most people aren't. But we can all aspire to be a bit better)

Charles Ragnar (Actually I'm nowhere near that good. But I do try)