SC - Request for documentation

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Thu Dec 11 17:44:27 PST 1997

And it came to pass on 11 Dec 97, that Michael F. Gunter wrote:

> For example, Duke Cariadoc asked about the saffron rice I was
> planning on using. Although I think there may have been a recipe for
> it I never bothered to look. Figuring how the Medieval cook loved
> saffron and how nicely it colors rice, I thought it would be fairly
> common on a table where rice was served.

> Gunthar

In Taillevent (14th century French), there is a recipe for saffron
rice:

Decorated rice for a meat day

Pick over the rice, wash it very well in hot water, dry it near the
fire, and cook it in simmering cow's milk.  Crush some saffron (for
reddening it), steep it in your milk, and add stock from the pot.

(This is from a translation by James Prescott, published by the
Alfarhaugr Publishing Society)

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
mka Robin Carroll-Mann *** harper @ idt.net