SC - OT - Omaha Steaks anomaly

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Dec 13 15:43:40 PST 1997

<<  But people drink
 Retsina. (I did once. which was enough)

 Charles Ragnar >>

Retsina goes wonderfully well with the cuisine it was meant to be eaten with
just as other wines go with their respective cuisines. For instance, the gross
rotten grape juice called "Chianti" is really rather nice with red Italian
food and there is nothing closer than heaven on earth when a real French
Sauterne is eaten with Roquefort cheese. Champagen eaten with roasted fowl is
a match that cannot be compared. As is a syrah with steak or a red zinfandel
eaten with Cornish Game Hen's topped with a rasberry sauce. And.......ready
for this, a white zinfandel takes on a whole new meaning when served chilled
with hotdogs.....

The point here is that wine like anyother food must be carefully matched to
it's food mate. I would not go so far as to say there are no bad wines but a
wine becomes better when tho't is put into what food will be taken with it. As
a side note, the price of a wine is no indication of it's palatability. The
price is set by case production, weather, harvest, allocation tables, and
demand. It has absolutely no bearing on the quality of the contents of the
bottle.

A very nice French-style Argentine Malbec selling for $7.99 a bottle in PA
which I had the  pleasure of enjoying Monday evening is a perfect example.
This wine was moderately tannic, smooth, with tastes of unsweetened chocolate,
almonds, blackberries, coffee and currants, a long finish. I would have been
willing to pay twice the price for this particular wine. I served it with
fresh baked potato bread and and a beef stew in which I also used it as the
red wine for cooking. Marvelous! :-)

Ras (who LOVES wine and is hard pressed to categorically dismiss any type as a
whole.)