SC - documentation--longer answer

Karen Lyons-McGann dvkld.dev at mhs.unc.edu
Mon Dec 15 12:29:44 PST 1997

>Now, would somebody give me a comercial source for apples that are a period
>type, grown without pesticides or commercial fertilizer.

There is a firm called AppleSource--I don't know if they are on the web
yet. They sell a wide variety of apples, including, I am fairly sure, some
of the period ones, by mail.

Alternatively you can get trees from quite a lot of nurseries--you will
find an article on that subject in the _Miscellany_. My problem is that I
keep moving, and leaving my trees behind. Hopefully, since things grow fast
here, I will at least get to enjoy the greengage plum I planted when we
moved.

>We do the best we can with what we have.... and to quote a character in a
>"Lady Tudor Glitz" cartoon, telling people things aren't period isn't
>period....

But this listserve is quite strikingly out of persona, so we aren't being
period on the listserve, we are talking about period things, so the fact
that telling people things are not period isn't period is irrelevant here.
It would be relevant at events if people were making a reasonable attempt
to be medieval people instead of attendees at a costume party, but that is
only occasionally the case, unfortunately.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/