SC - Grape juice inquiry-calrification

DianaFiona DianaFiona at aol.com
Mon Dec 15 13:23:15 PST 1997

Cooks!

 I must say I don't like people responding to a post when they don't know
the original question, as I did!  Seems like the original question was
possibly  "Why do people post queries for documentation here, instead of
doing the research themselves and sharing the results?"

How many people post "can this be documented" questions because, like me,
 they have come across recipes that seem likely, but they don't have the
resources to research it, or perhaps don't have need for something in
that category at this point?  The recipe I posted for instance, sounded
distinctly like something that might have been served late period,
especially in England, because a) the people serving it 100 years later
were from England. b) its style and ingredients are similar to things I
know via Cariodoc and a few housewifes books, edited for the general
public, that I have read.  However,  I don't really need to know right
now.   My current need is for Eastern European soups and stews.  I intend
to look into the Marlborough pie question at some point and probably
would have asked the documentation question then.  Why?

1.  There is a chance that someone here has already got all or part of an
answer.  You don't start a thesis before finding out if someone's done
that question before.  I wouldn't want to go to great lengths, only to
discover that what I've discovered is common knowledge to those with more
experience. Not that I expect never to find I've done that, but it would
be nice not to feel I'd wasted a lot of time and effort. I don't expect
an answer containing  full documentation! More likely just a comment to
try looking at (name of resource) or look for something on  (name of
country and more particular time period).  If I were in a position to
save someone a few steps by sharing even such a little nugget of info
that I didn't realize I had in my mind until asked, I would be glad to.

2.  It's possible that someone researching another item could come across
a recipe for a pie that reminds them of the one I mentioned.  At the very
least, they could pass on the name of the source they were using.  More
generously, they might actually copy the relevant information for me.  In
a stroke of astounding luck for me, they might even decide that the
recipe suits them, research it for their own purposes and post it.
Depriving me of the work, darn it!  No, I'm not saying I hope someone
else will do the work.  Just, well, it could happen if my stars and their
stars were aligned all exactly right!

3.  Putting an idea out there allows me to have limited access to texts
in languages I don't speak.   I wouldn't have thought of this except
someone posted privately a recipe that was pretty darn close.  But since
the original is in German, and since I don't read German  I _never_ would
have found it.  I would never have even started looking in German texts!

To a newcomer like me,  the question begs to be reversed.  Why isn't it
appropriate to post a general can this be documented type question?  Is
SCA-Cooks a place to post completed research only?   Is it a place only
for those with access to more direct sources to post their
pronouncements?  I'd hoped for a place for those without the skills or
resources for more scholarly research to post a question in hopes of
answers ranging from minimal advice to complete documentation.  Of course
you shouldn't ask for assistance in documenting nacho dip, but a request
for assistance with a recipe that consists of appropriate ingredients
doesn't seem like it should be off limits.

At least 3 people privately posted to watch out for flaming over such a
request for documentation.  Happily, that didn't happen.  (yet?)   On
another list about a completely unrelated interest, the FAQ attempts to
train newbies what not to ask and train the rest of us to strictly ignore
a certain type of inevitable and yet inappropriate post.  One person who
was tired of flamewars over it responds off list why such a thing isn't
possible.  It usually works, but the arrangement requires having that one
person dedicated to fire fighting.   Most people I know have a life and
no time for safeguarding a list to such an extreme.  But if it makes her
feel needed . . . *shrug*.

BTW  Is there a FAQ I missed somewhere along the line?  Nothing I
received from the listserv indicated there were limitations on
discussion, so I would have eventually asked about the pie.  I only asked
Friday because someone's response seemed to match my circumstances.

Anne