SC - pie crusts--??

rudin@okway.okstate.edu rudin at okway.okstate.edu
Tue Dec 16 13:15:26 PST 1997

Greetings friends, from Tibor.

I had to unsubscribe from the cooks list a while ago.  To much volume here,
to much to do out there.  I hope you are having fun.

But I hadn't forgotten one or two outstanding commitments.  And, here is one
of them.

This is a non-period recipe, obviously, for a fat free key lime pie.  It is
by a wonderful chef named Mark Brancato, and it was privately distributed.

_ALL PURPOSE PIE CRUST_
    6 rice cakes, unsalted, plain		1/2 cup quick rolled oats
    1/4 cup natural sugar (or Sucanat)		pinch salt and cinnamon
    water or apple juice to moisten.

    Place all dry ingredients in a food processor.  Process until
    very thoroughly ground.  Place in a bowl, and add liquid and combine
    until just moistened - sticky, but not at all wet. Press into a
    very thin layer in a pie tin that has been sprayed with cooking
    spray, and bake at 350 degrees unti barely golden.  About 10 minutes.
    DO NOT OVERBAKE.

    [Personally, I prefer this with Grape-Nuts cereal instead of rice
    cakes, but Mark is the chef!]

_KEY LIME PIE_
    1 cup soymilk or nonfat milk		1 Tbs Agar flakes
    7/8 cup natural sugar (or Sucanat)		1 cup non-fat plain yogurt
    1 cup fresh lime juice			1/4 tsp green magma [1]
    2 eggs worth of Egg Beaters [2]		3 egg whites

    Heat 3/4 cup milk with agar flakes. Simmer five minutes.

    Mix Egg Beaters with sugar and remaining milk.  Add this mixture to
    the hot milk, and heat gently until the mixture coats the back of a
    spoon.

    Whisk in the magma, lime juice and yogurt.

    Beat the egg whites to soft peak, fold into the rest of the filling
    mixture.  Pour into a pre-baked pie shell, and cool to set.
    Garnish with lime slices.

[1] Green magma is a kind of green sprouted barley grass.  I believe it is
    being added for color only.  You can skip it.

[2] The original ingredients list does not call for artificial eggs, but
    the recipe does.  I have guessed at the quantity, but I could be
    in error.  I suggest Egg Beater brand only because that's the one
    I (and Mark) use.  You can use what you like.

I'd add some vanilla, but I'm a sucker for vanilla.

	Tibor