SC - pie crusts--??

Christi Redeker Christi.Redeker at digital.com
Tue Dec 16 14:54:58 PST 1997

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> Phlip described how to make it, but I have never been happy with my
> results. On the other hand, I can buy it in the supermarket - it is very
> common in Indian cooking.

The problem you may be encountering is the fact that ghee _isn't_ just
clarified butter in the ordinary European sense of the word. Clarified
butter is butter that has been melted until the emulsion breaks, causing
the fat to rise to the top, so it can be skimmed. Ghee is made by
cooking the butter, slowly, until the water has evaporated almost
completely, and the milk solids have settled to the bottom and begun to
caramelize, giving a slightly caramelized flavor and color to the
butterfat.

But yes, you can buy ghee in various markets, except I had understood
the commercial product was a vegetable product, kinda like clarified
oleomargarine. The real thing may well be available, but I haven't seen
it myself. At least I don't recall it if I did.

Adamantius