SC - pre-1500 cookery

Michael P Newton melc2newton at juno.com
Tue Dec 16 16:04:41 PST 1997

<phlip at morganco.net> wrote:
Subject: Re: SC - Seven deadly sins & spices

>As for Sloth, I would be tempted to make a sublety of a sloth with
>spun sugar as its fur. If done properly, it could appear to be hanging
>upside down from a tree limb while actually being supported from
>below. Alys-Katherine, you're good at this sort of thing. How would
>YOU do it?

Er-r... Well, sloths are New World so I'd avoid them. :-(  Personally?
I'd put out a really pretty plate and a note saying that I was too lazy
to bake something to put on it but maybe I'd do it later.  :-)  But,
I'm into jokes like that.

If you have the time, how about checking out the medieval
representations of some of the sins?  On the Rialto Nicolaa de Bracton
would probably know, or others who are students of medieval history.
If, for example, sloth was characterized by a lazy person then anything
that might depict a lazy person would do... A dishcloth from sugar
paste, an unmade bed from marzipan or sugar paste.  If you wanted to be
SCA-ish, you could do a bed from cake and frosting with perhaps a cloth
coverlet.  Not all parts of subtleties were edible.

Alys K.