SC - eggplant follow-up

Dan Gillespie dangilsp at intrepid.net
Tue Dec 16 18:19:11 PST 1997

In a message dated 97-12-16 15:15:04 EST, Duke Cariadoc writes:

<< I1. Ten years ago, the French/English medieval cuisine had been at least
 moderately well explored, so if you wanted to break new ground, one
 direction to go was nouvelle cuisine.>>

Or Spanish, Potuguese, German, Greek, Italian, Polish, Middle
Eastern...........:-) There are many countires, as I'm sure Your Grace is
aware of, that barely have the surface scratched with regards to research and
study. For the beginning SCA cook even the those areas such as England and
France which purportedly have been weel researched leave a lot to be desired
when actual recipes that are edible are concerned. Not to belittle the work of
those who have gone before, there is a lot of room for improvement in some
redactions that currently exist.

 <<2. People ...<snip>... fascinated with...<snip>... "can I prove
..<snip>>...stuffy people...<snip>...don't believe in having fun>>

Of course we both know this is entirely inaccurate. :-)

<<If you are trying to "document" tomatoes, potatoes, coffee, chocolate, ...,
the sixteenth century is the place to look.>>

True, but I still can't understand why so much energy is put into trying to
document what would have been clearly "novelty" plants grown by a few garden
enthusiasts at best. :-0

 <<3. Some people prefer cookbooks written in something very close to modern
 English.>>

I fear that this is also an accurate statement. :-( I would venture to put
forth the fact that the more one reads actual period manuscripts the easier it
is to read them. ;-)  Sure mistakes occur (e.g. my recent blunder when
redacting the "Mock Sturgeon" reciept) but with practice less and less
mistakes appear in ones translated works. And, believe it or not folks, the
more you study the original manuscripts, the more you enjoy the study of
language. :-)

<< 4. There are a lot of Tudors about.>>

This is a good thing. What with those huge skirts.....what a nice place to
find shade on a hot summers day. :-)

Ras