SC - pre-1500 cookery sources

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Dec 16 17:58:24 PST 1997

Hi Daniel:
        You might try having a look through any of the several late period
(1500 & 1600's) books that deal with herbs & other plants.  Gerard's Herbal
fo 1633 comes to mind immediately.  Most of the entries mention any
medicinal properties that the plant may have had.  These are usually
formulated to the idea of the 4 humors & which virtues each plant
stimulates.  Besides, it's just a nifty old book to look through.  Dover has
the whole thing in reprint, but it costs about $100.  That's a bit out of my
price range for most books, but I may have to scrape my peenies together for
this one someday.
                Take care,   Antoine
                                aka Dan Gillespie

>Hi,
>
>I am grateful for the suggestions that I have recieved so far..but would
>still need some help with Sloth , Pride and Envy.
>
>As my friends (This is no SCA event or even strongly medieval themed -
>though I wish to push it in that direction) would not fully appricate the
>medieval subtleties I chose choclate for Lust, as it is a said
>aphrodisiac.
>
>But  an intersting thought was risen in the call for aphrodisiacs....what
>about other herbs and spices..are they connected to human charcterisitcs
>and traits..
>
>Would there be a spice that was said to provoke anger....or at least make
>a person more coleric...and the opposite
>
>If you know about an article or book about such notions during mediaval
>times,  or indeed ancient Roman ort Greek ideas, please send me a
>reference.
>
>I know the romans had some ideas about the properties of spices and herbs,
>can't just remeber  what at the moment
>

>Daniel Serra

Dan Gillespie
dangilsp at intrepid.net