SC - Seven deadly sins & spices

kappler kappler at edgenet.net
Wed Dec 17 15:47:56 PST 1997

<<
 My grandmother makes her pie crusts with vinegar replacing some of the
 liquid.  Is this just a southern thing?  (Oklahoma)  Has anyone else
 seen this done?  I'm not sure of the proportions (and I don't really
 like pie crust myself - I usually just scoop out the insides) but my
 mom and aunt swear it's the best in the world.  Course they grew up
 with it.......

 Mercedes

My mom has one like this.  It also has an egg in the liquid.  I think that
what it does is bind the dough together quickly before the gluten becomes
overworked.  This allows the fat layers to be interspursed in the crust, and
makes a flakier crust instead of a "coffen" that could replace the aluminum
pans they are baked in.

Tyrca