SC - re: Lentils

Dan Gillespie dangilsp at intrepid.net
Wed Dec 17 15:40:44 PST 1997

Hello from West Virginia!
        Here's a recipe for a lentil dish fromt he 1607 "Arte de Cozina"
that I'm working with.  I thought it was nicely spices, but the other person
who tried it thought it a bit bland.  You can always adjust the seasonings
at the end.  Let me know how you like it.
                                        Antoine de Bayonne

Cap xiiij De caldo de lentejas.

Despues de limpias y escogidas las lentejas se echaran a cozer, y despues
que cuezen un poco, se freyra una poca de cebolla, y ajos picados, y se
echara en las lentejas; y toma pan rallado, y echaselo para que espessen con
quatro, o seys maravedis de especias molidas, perexil è yerba buena; y
quando se vuieren de echar en las escudillas, se les echara un poco de
vinagre: es buen caldo, sino que es melancolico, como dize Galeno, cap. 5.

Chap 14 On a broth of lentils

After the lentils are cleaned & sorted, cast them to cook, & after they cook
a little, fry a little onion, chopped garlic, & cast them to the lentils; &
take grated bread, & cast it so that they thicken with 4 or 6 maravedis of
ground spices, parsley & mint; & when you cast it in the bowls, cast a
little vinegar: it is a good broth, except that is melancholic, as Galen
says in chapter 5.

A Dish of Lentils

- -2 C lentils, sorted & rinsed
- -2 med onions, chopped
- -2 Tbsp olive oil
- -4 cloves garlic, minced
- -1/2 tsp pepper
- -1/4 tsp ginger
- -1/2 tsp cumin
- -1/2 tsp coriander
- -pinch of cloves
- -salt to taste
- -1/4 C bread crumbs
- -1 Tbsp mint, finely minced
- -2 Tbsp parsley, finely minced
- -2 Tbsp red vine vinegar

Cover lentils with 2 inches of water & cook til they are soft; the time
depends on which type of lentils you use.  Turn heat to low.  Saute onions
in oil til soft & clear; add garlic & continue to saute til garlic is
slightly browned.  Add this mixture to lentils.  Add the spices & herbs &
sitr in the bread crumbs.  This made a stew thinner thatn porridge & thicker
than soup.  Remove from heat & stir in vinegar.  Serve warm

Dan Gillespie
dangilsp at intrepid.net
Dan_Gillespie at usgs.gov
Martinsburg, West Virginia, USA