SC - Antipodeans and Petits Propos Culinaires

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Dec 17 18:21:23 PST 1997

I have a book by the Frugal Gourmet called "The Frugal Gourment Keeps
the Feast, Past Present, and Future."  From the jacket - "Food is always
more than eating and cooking for Jeff Smith.  In these pages he sets
Biblical recipes in their evolutionary context, showing how great dishes
came out of desperate times and a reliance on local seasonal bounty."
I've enjoyed reading it from the context of setting, food references in
the Bible and symbolic meanings.  The last half of the book has recipes,
however, there is no original recipe with the modern.  The selection of
recipes is good and sound very similar to recent discussions on this
list.  This might be a good starting point, he does have a good
bibliography which might be of help.  I don't know how available this
book is in Australia.  ISBN is 0-688-11568-3, published in 1995.  Hope
this helps.
Clare
(who wishes the thermometer outside the window would get above zero)