SC - pasternakes

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Wed Dec 17 21:29:26 PST 1997

Varju wrote:

> Ummm. . .well they lived in the same area (many years earlier),and there are
> some crazy theories that connect the two cultures. . .so the Sour Vetrece is
> appropriate.

I assume you mean the Huns and the somewhat later Magyars. Sure, there's
no real reason why similar ingredients and cooking methods couldn't have
been used by nomadic horsemen strolling around what is now Central
Europe, either in the third and fourth centuries, or in the eighth and
ninth centuries, C.E.

On the other hand, are we really sure that sour vetruce is Magyar in
origin? Given the high acid content, and the sour cream element, what
price the chances the dish might be a descendant of a Turkish dish with
citrus juice and yogurt? I'm not saying it is, but it seems not
unreasonable, given the cultural exchange.

Adamantius