SC - re: pre-1500 cookery (turns into rant; and I

Sharon L. Harrett Ceridwen at commnections.com
Thu Dec 18 03:07:28 PST 1997

Greetings:

In our discussions about 'bad' feasts, it was mentioned:

>>I was at an event recently where I was at High Table. The service was
>>a little off, when they came out they were wonderful but I wound up
>>refilling people's drinks and even scraping everybody's dishes so they
>>could be used for the next course. This is bad when the people at High
>>Table have to do their own service. On the occassions the servers did
>>come out they were very courteous and helpful.
>>
>The High Table is supposed to have two servers stationed at it, to run
>the necessary errands, but the food is often brought by "hats" not
>seated there.  Drinks are provided by the floaters.

Speaking as one such "hat", that's a job I vie for when I'm not running
feast myself -- it takes some of the pressure off the cooking/serving crew
to have experienced servers working high table, and only high table. And if
that job's taken, I'll usually volunteer as a regular server: it's a great
way to help out, especially if they're understaffed, as can happen at
smaller events/coronets. You meet the nicest people in the kitchens (G).

Morgana

Morgana yr Oerfa, Baroness      *     Sharron Albert
Winter's Gate/Oertha/West       *     salbert at polarnet.com
Per saltire gules and sable,    *     Babylon 5/science fiction
in pale two mullets and         *     (astrology/tarot)
in fess an increscent           *     Back up my hard drive? How do I put
and a decrescent argent.        *          it in reverse?