SC - different periods of food

CorwynWdwd CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Thu Dec 18 03:30:59 PST 1997

sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG wrote:

> Charles asked:
> >Peaches are appropriate for England. But I don't know how they
> >prepared/preserved them. I would imagine that something like jam was
> >done. Has anybody checked the florilegium?
>
> I’ve not got much, I’m afraid. The following snippets are from my
> fruits-msg file.
>
> Stefan li Rous
> =================
>
> From: Dorothea of Caer-Myrddin (Dorothy J. Heydt):
>
> >In the south and around the Mediterranean: apricots, figs, dates,
> >       melons, peaches.
>
> >From Duke Cariadoc:
> -----------
> The following list of period or
> near period fruit varieties is from an article in _The Miscellany_ (also
> T.I.).
>
> Pre 1650 Fruits
>
> Peach
> Grosse Mignonne (1667)
>
> >From Gretchen M Beck (Margaret) on this list back in June:

IIrc, there is a recipe for peach jam or something very similar in the
Andalusian  cookbook in Duke Cariadoc's Collection (an earlier version).
Unfortunately, I loaned out my copy and guess what happened? I don't
know if this was one of the cookbooks that is no longer being printed.
Your Grace,  could you confirm?

Ceridwen