SC - Cossacks, Mongols, and Huns..Oh My!

Varju Varju at aol.com
Thu Dec 18 08:17:09 PST 1997

> I am currently studying the archaeology of Anglo-Saxon society, and
> the
> amount of prejudices that are present among many of the authors are
> scaring. In a discussion of a trade center in the 8th century, Hodges
> (the
> anglo saxon achievement - a dreeadful book) mentions in a brief
> passage
> how dull the food must have been, just after accounting for the
> ecological
> evidence from the place. This in a place were even foreign spices were
>
> present.
>
> In other ecological studies though evidence has been put forth for
> various
> sorts of domestic herbs and plants...but since this is an ecological
> study
> it did not discuss the frames of what it proved, just presenting the
> facts
> (rackham &rackham  Economy and Ecology in  anglo saxon)
>
> So unfortunately I would say that we owe much of this sentiments,
> prejudices to the heavy weight archaeologists and historians..
> Hopefully this will change as archaeology is taking different evidence
> in
> account, and archaeologists are less dependent on the predecessing
> giants
>
> Daniel Serra

There is a fairly good book by Ann Hagen called A Handbook of
Anglo-Saxon Food:Processing and Consumption, isbn
0-9516209-8-3,Anglo-Saxon Books, 25 Malpas Dr, Pinner, Middlesex, Eng.
that I rather enjoyed and is relatively scholarly, though some of her
conclusions are not what I would have drawn given the same data, but
those are my personal opinions. I got it from, iirc Poison Pen Press or
Small Churl Books at an even several years ago.
margali