SC - "first catch your peacock

Russell Gilman-Hunt conchobar at rocketmail.com
Thu Dec 18 08:24:11 PST 1997

                      RE>SC - period apples                        12/18/97

<snip>
Pre 1650 Fruits
Apples
Calville Blanc D'Hiver (1627)
Court Pendu Plat (16th century–possibly Roman)
Devonshire Quarendon (1690)
Drap d'Or (=Coe's Golden Drop?)
Lady Apple (1628)
Old Nonpareil
Pomme Royale
Reinette Franche
Roxbury Russett (Early 17th century)
Scarlet Crofton
Sops of Wine
Summer Rambo (16th century)
Winter Pearmain
Fenouilette Gris
Golden Reinette
<snip>

I don't suppose that the "sops of wine" could be related to "wine sap" apples?
 they are only rarely in stores, but I have seen trees in catalogs.  They are
very tasty and the white flesh has little red veins running through it-
pretty!
- -brid