SC - re: pre-1500 cookery (turns into rant;

Sharon L. Harrett Ceridwen at commnections.com
Thu Dec 18 17:14:40 PST 1997

> In the traditional method of cheddar manufacture, the firm curd is
> cut, or
> "cheddared," into small bits to drain the whey and then pressed firmly
> into
> cylinders...The cheese, a light orange-yellow in colour, is wrapped in
> thin
> muslin and coated with wax.  It is aged a minimum of three to six
> months,
> preferably one and one-half to two years..."  Encyc. Brit.
>
> The cottage industry of producing Cheddar cheese arose in the 16th
> century,
> and spread to N. America in the late 1700s.
>
> Cindy/Sincgiefu

But cheddaring also includes gently heating the whey for a certain
amount of time at a certain temperature range to help coagulate the milk
protein. I only make cheddar at this time. Well, I confess that i make
the curds and green cheese, it doesnt hang around long enough to age
much. [i cant help it, i grew up in a cheesemaking region and got
addicted to curds very young and only took up cheese making to get the
curds...]
margali