SC - Lamb!!! (and kids)

margali margali at 99main.com
Fri Dec 19 06:34:42 PST 1997

Around here, pig/hog roasts are very common because they are fairly cheap.
If I were to suggest a lamb roast, everyone would look at me as if I were
out of my mind, both because of the expense and because it is NOT a
preferred food. I think it might have something to do with the fact that
most people who serve lamb cook the blazes out of it ; most cookbooks have
timing for medium and well-done, but none for rare.

I'm surprised that pork is so expensive down there. The Irish call the pig
"The gentleman who pays the rent", which caused my county Sheriff a great
amount of amusement when I told him that in another context. Pigs are very
prolific, +/- 10 per litter, 2 litters per year, and easy keepers, since
they eat almost anything, whereas sheep only drop 1-3 lambs once per year,
and require a fair amount of tending in comparison. Out of curiosity, how
much is a leg of lamb/lb vs. a fresh ham/lb and  pork chops/lb vs. lamb
chops/lb down there?

And when am I moving down there with you so we can make $ raising pigs
while dining on lamb and seafood to our heart's content?

Luv to ya, Charles,

Phlip

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
: Somebody said
: 'hardly anyone eats lamb'
:
: Really? Australia 'lives on the sheep's back', so the Australian Sunday
: roast is lamb. (And the BBQ chops, and the roast rack of lamb, and the
: lamb rogan josh, and the kebabs, and the souvlaki)
:
: But I don't think there is much of it in (non-'Indian') asian fare,
: although goat is reasonably popular. For some reason we don't eat much
: mutton - most butchers need to be warned in advance so they can get it.
:
: But the basis of many of our feasts is something roasted on a spit. A cow
: is too big, and pork is expensive. Deer is a bit hard for some people to
: come at, but a sheep(lamb) or a goat is the one which everyone is happy
with.
:
: How does this compare around the globe (or even around others in
australia?)
:
: Charles Ragnar
: