SC - Lamb!!! (and kids)

Fri Dec 19 08:00:28 PST 1997

Beef and pork are the cheap meats here in Oklahoma, mainly because they
are raised here.  The price of pork may be going up, because corporate
hog farms are trying to locate in Western Oklahoma bringing the
attendent pollution and waste problems.  There has been a lot of verbal
dispute and political jockeying to get solid environmental regulation in
place, and recently we have had the first reports of shots being fired.
So the cost of "improving" hog farming in Oklahoma could send the price
up.

Lamb is usually imported from Colorado or New Zealand.  Currently lamb
is high dollar, going for $3.50 U.S. a pound in the local markets and is
even higher in Witchita, KS.  I think the only reason we have lamb is
the large number of Middle Easterners in Oklahoma.  We could probably
get better prices if everyone took the sheep rancher's slogan to heart,
"Eat more lamb, 100,000 coyotes can't be wrong."

Goat can be had, if you know a farmer who raises them.  The only event I
know it was served at was the 1st 2nd Annual Wolfstar Tourney, slow
grilled over the fire.

Bear