SC - pre-1500 cookery

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Dec 19 13:02:29 PST 1997

>>Somebody said 'hardly anyone eats lamb'
>Really? Australia 'lives on the sheep's back', so the Australian Sunday
roast is lamb.
>How does this compare around the globe (or even around others in
Australia?)
>Charles Ragnar

Hello!  I'm the someone.  In the southeastern United States, eating lamb
is just about unheard of.  Sheep haven't been raised here in the land of
cotton in generations, at least not in such numbers that there are very
many spare lambs for market.  Sunday is for fried chicken, or country ham
or pork barbecue.  It's not so long ago that the only kind of lamb I
could find was frozen and  imported all the way from New Zealand!  That's
changing now with so many people moving into the the region from all over
the US and around the world.  All the stores I usually shop at do sell
fresh lamb now, but it's expensive.  Lamb is a meat reserved for those
intending to show off their finances  or those immigrants to this region
who have a real need to re-create foods traditional to their families.
As for kid, I don't think I've ever seen it for sale, though our area has
at least 2 goat dairies.  I can think of one market that might just
possibly carry it or be willing to find out where they could special
order it.

Anne