SC - Lamb!!! (and kids)

margali margali at 99main.com
Mon Dec 22 02:55:52 PST 1997

If I remember properly, this looks like a very common period recipe.
Documentation, comments, and embellishments, any one?

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
: Once upon a time we had a cooking workshop (this was in the days when we
: wondered how practical 'field cooking' was. In my Backyard, over an open
: fire, I prepared the following recipe (with changes as noted)
:
: Take one camel. (I couldn't find anywhere to take it from, so I skipped
: that bit. Plus we were feeding 20 people, all of whom were cooking
: something. It seemed like overkill.)
:
: Take one sheep   (which I did. without the neck opened. The butcher
: kindly got me one like that)
:
: Stick it in the camel (No camel. Well, what can you do)
:
: Take some ducks, geese, or chickens. (I got some chickens, and a buch of
: bits as well.)
:
: Put capons or quail in them. (quail went into chickens, ducks got capons
: filled with chicken breast)
:
: fill the rest with rice, pistachios, sultanas, figs and some other nut (I
: forget. I partially cooked the rice first)
:
: Put it on a spit over the fire, and cook it.
:
: What was amazing was that over about 8 hours, we ate nearly all the lamb,
: all the quails and most of the rest. It was really good.
:
: Unfortuantely I don't have any documentation.
:
:
: What I normally do is fill a beastie with fruit (apples, pears, oranges,
: whatever), sew it up with tie-wire, and cook it, then serve with a few
: sauces. forty people demolish a reasonable lamb or goat in a feast (ten
: people can eat a whole goat if they're hungry), and a deer should feed
: about 100.
:
: It's very low stress cooking, and it looks good when it comes to be
: carved and served. Plus there are lots of stock-bones...
:
: Charles
:
: