SC - Re: Brie and Puck's Glen (longish)

kappler kappler at edgenet.net
Mon Dec 22 11:01:42 PST 1997

> :-). Brie is on my list of Pensic supplies. Since I always go fro the
full 2
> wks. , you will hopefully arrive before the brie is no more. :-)
>
> Ras

Since I seem to have started a thread I thought would be considered off
topic, and happily is not, I must ask you Ras, I have been lurking and
learning on this list for about four months now, (and spouting off on the
distilling list for almost as long:-), and you strike me as one of the
forerunners in this topic, passionate about your cooking, and very
knowledgeable as well.  Why don't you make your own cheeses etc.?
I often talk obliquely about 'the dream' in discussion with my friends and
that BATF fellow over on distilling, and it is simply this: I am fortunate
enough to have found, dirt cheap (pun definetly intended) the 226 acres
commonly herein refered to as Puck's Glen.  I have been searching and
planning for this for nigh on twenty years.  The sole intent of having this
is to improve my lifestyle.  Those caught up in the ratrace might think
that phrase to mean more stuff, but to me it means living as close to the
land, a self sufficient life, as I can.  About twenty years ago I ran
across a book entitled _The Guide To Self-Sufficiency_ by a fellow named
John Seymour, and it absolutely captivated me!
I'm not a go hide my head in the sand and to hell with humanity type, but
rather firmly believe we have come to let technology rule us instead of
visa-versa, and have dedicated myself for two decades to learning how to
grow my own food, and cook it (as Puck's do love to eat!  Possibly a close
genetic relation to Hobbits?) Returning as much to the land as I take.
Coming back around, one of things I have/am learning to do is make my own
cheese.  It is not hard, expensive,  or time consuming, not does it take
any more room than it takes to prepare a mediocre meal.
This is not meant as a criticism milord, but Pucks are ever curious, and it
seems a natural evolution to me that one as passionate and apparently adept
as you would proceed that extra step and, not just make the food from
scratch, but as many of the ingredients as possible as well.

maybe missing a point or two, Puck