SC - Re: Worm Recipe (plus a "new" book)

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Sat Dec 27 20:04:52 PST 1997

I said:
<< With four
 hundred years of additional breeding though, I imagine the current
 grapes now would differ from their medieval ancesters even without the
 grafting.  >>

And Lord Ras replied:

This is not true. Many grape varieties that exist now are the exact same
varieties that grew and produced wine in Medieval Europe. Pinot Grigio,
Cabernet Blanc, most of the Rhone wime varieties and not a few of the Italian
varieties are the same. Grapes are not, for the most part "bred" they are
propogated by grafting stock.
=============

Yes, the name is the same. But what proof do we have that the current
plants are unchanged from the medieval versions? Sounds similar to the
recent question on whether cheddar cheese was period or not.

Even if you don't intentionally selectively breed the grapes, there is
going to be some genetic drift and more importantly, unintentional
cross-pollination. Also while there is grafting, is that the only
propagation technique? I thought all the vines got old after 25?
50? years and had to be replaced.

Also, even within a particular grape type, say Cabernet Blanc, wouldn't
the "best" vines be the ones propagated? Thus changing the overall
average of the type for the "better"?

>I can have a list of most of the extant
>varieties that are still widely cultivated and used today that are the same as
>those used in the Middle Ages. I will post this info within a week if there is
>interest.

I, for one, would be interested in seeing this list. And a list of
those of those varieties that are known to be more recent.

Stefan li Rous