SC - plant grafting

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Dec 27 19:07:44 PST 1997

Stefan,.

 >  I don't recall the source now, but I
 >found one for pregnant women which included horse dung.

 I assume this was from some sort of poltice rather than a food item?
> Medieval folks seem to have been quite resourceful in using everything
 >around them.

As any farrier knows, horse manure is excellent for stopping bleeding, if
you can get past the tetanus factor. I suspect Alys Katherine may quite
literally mean ingestion rather than a poultice for that very reason- after
all, they didn't have tetanus shots then, and I'm not kidding you about how
pervasive tetanus is in horse dung. I rather doubt that a "cure" that would
increase the loss rate of both mother and child by 50% would continue to be
used. Yes, I know they did some strange things such as bleeding, but
bleeding actually has some short term benefits in some cases- some Amish
healers use it selectively with good success in cases of founder, and for
very good reason.