SC - RE: SC-Smalls

Mordonnade Mordonnade at aol.com
Sun Dec 28 17:54:39 PST 1997

On Sat, 27 Dec 97 20:04:52 PST "Alderton, Philippa" <phlip at morganco.net>
writes:
>Stefan,.
>
> >  I don't recall the source now, but I
> >found one for pregnant women which included horse dung.
>
> I assume this was from some sort of poltice rather than a food item?
>> Medieval folks seem to have been quite resourceful in using
>everything
> >around them.
>
>As any farrier knows, horse manure is excellent for stopping bleeding,
>if>you can get past the tetanus factor. I suspect Alys Katherine may
>quite>literally mean ingestion rather than a poultice for that very
reason-
>after>all, they didn't have tetanus shots then, and I'm not kidding you
>about how>pervasive tetanus is in horse dung. I rather doubt that a
"cure" that
>would>increase the loss rate of both mother and child by 50% would
continue
>to be>used. Yes, I know they did some strange things such as bleeding,
but
>bleeding actually has some short term benefits in some cases- some
>Amish>healers use it selectively with good success in cases of founder,
and
>for good reason.

Aldyth here.  I am feverishly trying to find the little Falconwood press
book that contains the "recipe" for Horse Dung Water.  It is a distilled
product that starts with 8 stone of fresh horse dung, and enough ale to
make a paste.  Then anise is added with some other spices.  The resulting
"drug" was to be taken by women in labor, and children in fits.  Sorry I
can't remember the details.  But it sounded like it would be anise
flavored.