SC - Margali's eggplant

margali margali at 99main.com
Mon Dec 29 10:32:18 PST 1997

This Christmas I was gifted with cookbooks.  I have questions on and from
one of them.  The cookbook is  Classical Turkish Cooking by Ayla Algar.
There are MANY references in the book to old or ancient things, but no
documentation I would accept.  It does list a couple of references that I
have not heard about.  One reference is a book titled "Court Cousine in
Fourteenth-Century Imperial China: Some Culinary aspects of Hu
Sihui'sYinshan Zhengyao" by Francoise Sabban.  Also a reference to a
Turkish-Arabic Dictionary "Diwan Lughat al-Turk, composed int he eleventh
century by Mahmud al Kashghari, in which it claims documentable
references to turkish cousine, varieties of bread, the clay oven and
griddle, and burying bread in coals to cook. Has anyone heard of these
sources?  How reputable are they?

Aldyth