SC - Lamb and Goat recipe

Jamey R. Lathrop jlathrop at unm.edu
Mon Dec 29 14:51:34 PST 1997

Aoife asks:

> On a more serious note, however:
> Could you give me a better idea of what were considered "neutral foods"?
> Grains,       sweets, fruits, etc. I can see. Where do meats, and the
> "remove"  (meat and accompanying dishes) theory figure into the recipe,
> however? Is there a prescribed order to the dishes, as served, in general?

This is actually along the lines of a question I've been meaning to ask myself for a while now.

In school we had to demonstrate our understanding of the Four Food Groups (gee, showing my age?) by planning "meals" that had 1) a meat, 2) a starch, 3) a couple of vegetables, and 4) a big glass of milk.  Now we have the Food Pyramid; same song, different verse.  The point being, "everyone knows" that a "proper" meal consists of one protein, a couple starches, a few vegetables, etc.

But what did they consider "proper" meal planning in the middle ages?  How did they decide whether to put the fish before or after the chicken?  Did they always have a vegetable in each course and bread at each meal; or are these modern-day affectations we've incorporated into SCA feasts?

Anyone have any insight on Medieval Menu Planning?

	- kat